elections - frequently asked questions
Who decides election dates?
The governing body of a "political subdivision" will select election dates.

Do I really need my Voter Registration Card to vote?
Bringing the card will help both you and others in line by speeding the process. If you do not have your card, you will be asked for a driver license or other form of positive identification. Please bring the card with you.

During a Primary Election, what if I don't want to tell the election judges whether I want to vote Republican or Democrat? What if I want to vote for a Reform or Independent Candidate?
There are no Reform or Independent Candidates in Primary elections in Texas. They will appear on the General Election ballot in the November election. In Texas, a voter must vote in the Primary for candidates on either the Republican or Democratic ballot. However, the voter may not vote for both Republicans and Democrats during the Primary. If the voter does not tell the judge whether they wish to vote Democratic or Republican, then the judge will be unable to provide a ballot for the voter.

I am in the military and want to vote but do not currently live in Bandera. How can I vote?
Each person in the military should obtain an FPCA (Federal Post Card Application) Card from their unit of assignment or from the Federal Voting Assistance Program website. The card is to be mailed to:

Early Voting Clerk
P. O. Box 1882
Bandera, TX 78003

Please be sure to complete the sections asking for Party Preference, the last address in Bandera County, and sign the application. Without this information, we cannot process the ballot request. When we receive your ballot application, you will receive a full ballot for the precinct corresponding to the precinct in which your address is located. If your ballot application was postmarked and received 30 days before an election, you will receive a full ballot. If your ballot application was received after these dates, you will receive a "limited ballot" which allows you to vote for the Presidential, US Senate and US Representative elections only.

The FPCA card is now valid for two federal election cycles. The FPCA card cannot be used to register to vote in local elections. If you live in Bandera County, you must register in the same manner as all other county residents. For further information, you are invited to refer to the Texas Secretary of State's Office.

How can I vote by mail? I am not in the military.
You must be 65 or older on the day of the election, have a disability, or be planning to be out of the county during the election (we will have to send the ballot to an out of county address in this last case).

You may request an application for a ballot by mail by emailing elections@banderacounty.org or by mailing a request to:

Andrea Jankoski
Bandera County Elections Administrator
P. O. Box 1882
Bandera, TX 78003

We will mail you an application for the ballot. Please read all the instructions, be sure to indicate what election you want to vote in, and be sure to sign the card. We will verify the information when the application is returned, and mail the ballot to you when they are available.

Do I have to apply for a new ballot by mail for every election?
Yes, you do. On the application for a ballot by mail which is sent by the Bandera County Elections Department, a form provided by the Texas Secretary of State Elections Division, there is a box to check which tells us that you want ballots for the mail election as well as the run-off. You must check this box to receive a ballot for the run-off if there is one. The FPCA card allows military voters to request a ballot (if they are outside the county) for all elections at the same time.

Can I get on a permanent mailing list so I do not have to apply each time?
No, there is no such list in Texas.

How often do I have to register to vote?
You only need to register one time, however, if you have an address change or name change you need to notify our office in writing as soon as possible.

When can I register to Vote?
You can register any time, however, you must be registered to vote 30 days before an election in which you plan to vote.

What if I move?
If you have recently moved, please provide our office with your new address as soon as possible. This process will help with the delivery of your voter registration certificate.

How can I find out if I am registered to vote or if you have my correct address?
You can call the office at 830-796-8146 and they will verify your registration. If you are not registered to vote or have an incorrect address our office will mail you a voter registration application.

Who can Register?
You are eligible to register and vote if you are:
A) a citizen of the United States,
B) a resident of Bandera County,
C) at least 17 years and 10 months of age and you must be 18 years of age by election day
D) not declared mentally incompetent by a court of law.
E) not a convicted felon, or, if so convicted you have:
  1) fully discharged your sentence, including any term of incarceration, parole, supervision,
   or completed a period of probation ordered by any court; or,
  2) been pardoned or otherwise release from the resulting disability to vote.